Thursday, March 5, 2009

Is the media making the economy worse...?

It is a known fact that we are having tough times with the economy. With people losing their jobs, pension plans, and decreasing stock value we have a right to be scared.

Well, some are saying that the media is causing more problems by broadcasting stories of hard times, that the Medias consistent negative portrayal on our situation is causing even more damage to the economy.

I don’t really know if we should be blaming the media itself, but that is why people are acting the way they are. It is human nature to try to stay safe when we feel as if we are in danger. It is proven that when times are tough people save instead of spend.

Is this really hurting us more?

Consumer reports have said that the media outlets should be highlighting solutions and context and positive stories.

I don’t know if that is the solution. Why would we want to sugar coat everything? I feel as if we should always know what kind of situation our economy is in.

Why would you ever want to live your life with a candy coated reality of how the world really is?

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't want my life to be a fairy tale in terms of economics, and I don't blame the media for reporting on the economy, be it bad or good, it's their duty.

    I think that some television series have highlighted ways to save. I know that Oprah's show has done so on more than one occasion.

    People cannot blame the media for reporting what has been a long time coming, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete